Friday, March 25, 2011

Moving with Kids

Moving with three small kids is a lot different then moving without kids.  I recall a time when I packed everything up and lived out of boxes for the last week or so before moving and everything was fine.  We just moved, and I will tell you, it is not that easy.  You can pack up everything but the essentials, but it is not one small box that is left open.  The day before moving day I had to run around and put all the miscellaneous  toys, dishes, diapers wipes, soothers, blankets and other odds and ends into boxes. 

Thank goodness for my Mother who kept the two older kids over night so I only had the baby to worry about.  I had kept out a change of clothes for all of us, but what I didn’t have was wipes.  The movers came and started loading things into their truck, and the baby pooped.  What am I to do without wipes!?!?!  I realize that there was a time in the not too distant past that people changed diapers all the time without wipes, but I am not that lady, and what would I have used anyway?  I had cleaning rags, but that didn’t seem right, and I no longer had use of the washer and dryer.  I sent my husband to the store to buy a new pack of wipes.  I didn’t know what else to do.

When we had all our stuff moved into the new house, we realized that we did not have a spot for the computer!  I do not know how to live without my computer.  I cannot pay bills or keep in touch with reality (Facebook, Blog..)  We decided to buy a laptop.  But as the funds are limited when you move, it cannot happen quickly.  I ended up setting up our desktop in our unfinished basement, and here I sit writing this now.  I am sitting on the cold cement floor in a very un-ergonomically correct position.

My kids really like the new house.  We were unsure if they would take the move well, so we bought them each a toy to help ease the transition.  They both love their new toys (we didn’t get one for the baby – she does not know the difference).  We made sure we set up their rooms right away.  Our new house has a playroom (it is the bonus room), so I am excited to not have toys all over the house, but the bonus room now looks like a toy box exploded.

I am not sure what spring will bring as we do not have a fenced yard yet, and there isn’t even grass!  There is a park down the street, so I think we will have to frequent it a lot. 

It has been a week since we moved, and almost everything is done (aside from some pictures).  When you have kids, you cannot really leave the boxes unpacked.  They need everything.  Plus it is dangerous to have boxes around when you have a little boy who climbs on everything!

It is a very different experience to move with kids, and I don’t want to do it again any time soon.  Hopefully the next time we move they will be old enough to help more!

1 comment:

  1. I've yet to move with any kids. I can't even imagine how much work it would be to move with 3 kids under 4!

    ReplyDelete